Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lacking Technology Patience

Dear Discover DJ Mixer,

Could you explain yourself to me? I don't know? Maybe give me a CD of instructions that I can listen to in my sleep and when I awake, I know how to use you. Voila! And then I can get started.

You see, I'm not the most tech-savvy gaia around. I LOVE to use this big 24" iMac. I'm completely seduced by the splendor of the screen but even this beauty took me some time to figure out and it drove me crazy because, well... I have this lack of patience when it comes to learning new tools of the technological persuasion. *sigh*

I'm all about process when it comes to art making so long as it doesn't involve microchips or silicone. I'm happy to practice night and day once I have an understanding of your knobs and software, which in your case, should be called confusing-ware because it's not so soft and cozy, really. Aurgh!

I need a Mixer teacher. Just someone to show me the ropes. Because the truth is that initial hurdle of reading your one page instruction booklet, which is more confusing than helpful, and trying to figure you out with little to know guide, reminds me of being in elementary school before they knew I was learning disabled. In fact, you remind me of the struggle from 3rd grade right up to my emancipation from high school. Yes, back when I couldn't get the assistance I needed to really orient myself well enough with information or tools to use them independently. So, right now you touch on everything isolating, frustrating, and self esteem charring from my early education... You keep poking that wound that I declared healed a few years ago. It's really annoying and hurtful.

All that said, could you hook a sister up and clue me in on the easier route?

Well?

...Ok. I take your silence to mean that I actually have to go there. Crap. I'll just warn you this may involve an embarrassing amount of 3rd grader tantrums. You know, the ones I never really got out. You'll be lucky to make it out of this alive but don't worry, you will. Because really, all I want is to get through it so we can synthesize all the beautiful music that inspires and heals me. Ironic, eh? We'll like each other much better when we arrive there. But until then, let the initiation begin!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! "A Jedi must patiently learn to wield her light sabers..." Yoda would say. Yeesss! :)

    Here's the link to the nonprofit org I mentioned last week in class: http://www.thedjproject.com/

    Did you also know there's a class called "Music & Spirituality" this quarter? It's 2 weekends in August out at Pleasant Hill. (I'm signed up.)

    Keep up the most awesome work. - Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a fantastic writer! thank you for this lovely, honest, intimate portrayal of your experience that gives voice and poignant humor to those of us who have felt a similar neeeeeeeed for helpppppp. gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete